There you are, sitting in bed with your phone flipped sideways and headphones in, watching one of your favorite artists’ VEVO channels, a makeup tutorial, a “how-to” video, or one of many pranking channels you can’t get enough of. At first, you probably think these people upload their content for free. And sure, they might have started out that way in their early days, but we’re here to tell you that some of YouTube’s most-watched channels are making money—and a lot of it. So, exactly how much do YouTubers make? That’s what we’re going to tell you.
If you’re wondering how much money YouTubers make and how to become a YouTuber, you’re in the right place. We’ll go over the average YouTube pay rate and tips and tricks on how to create a successful YouTube channel. All you have to do is keep reading — or use the links below to navigate straight to a section you’re curious about.
- How much do YouTubers make per view?
- How much money do YouTubers make every 1000 views?
- How much money does a YouTuber make per subscriber?
- How much money can a YouTuber make per video?
- How many views do YouTubers need to get paid?
- What other ways do YouTubers make money?
- Who are the top paid YouTubers?
- How to make money on YouTube
- Key Takeaways
How much do YouTubers make per view?
Curious about how much money YouTubers make per view? According to a variety of sources, YouTubers can make anywhere between $0.01 to $0.03 per view with AdSense, with an average of $0.18 per view. However, the amount of money YouTube.com will pay depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- The number of views your video receives
- The number of clicks an ad receives
- Ad quality
- Video length
How much money do YouTubers make every 1,000 views?
With the average YouTube pay rate hovering between $0.01 and $0.03 for an ad view, a YouTuber can make around $18 per 1,000 ad views, which comes out to $3 to $5 per 1,000 video views. Forbes also estimates that for top talent, a YouTuber can make about $5 for every 1,000 video views.
With that said, creating a YouTube channel can be a great side hustle, especially if you produce engaging content that attracts a large audience. However, getting to this point can be tough work, and we’ll get more into that later on in this post.
How much money does a YouTuber make per subscriber?
YouTube does not pay you based on the number of subscribers you have on your channel. Subscribers are people who choose to follow your account so that they can have easy access to your latest videos. When you post a video, it will automatically show up on their homepage.
Subscribers are valuable because they’re the ones who will most likely comment, like, and share your videos with even more people. That means you can gain more views and potentially more YouTube money if you place the right ads. So, while YouTube does not pay you based on the number of subscribers you have, they are integral to the number of views your videos receive.
How much money can a YouTuber make per video?
The amount of money a YouTuber can make per video depends on a variety of factors, such as the number of views they accumulate and how many Google ads that are displayed throughout their videos. Using Forbes’s estimated pay rate of $5 per 1,000 views, a YouTube video with 1,000,000 views can make upwards of $5,000, which makes being a modern-day influencer a pretty lucrative job! However, as previously noted, these are estimates, and some YouTubers may make more or less depending on the quality of the ad, click through rate, and other factors.
It’s also important to note that this is also a rapidly growing area. According to a study by eMarketer, social video ad spending will increase 44% from 2019 by 2021. That’s a $14.89 billion increase.
How many views do YouTubers need to get paid?
In order to get paid by YouTube, you need to reach a balance of $100 or more from views. This means you’ll need to garner 20,000 views if you receive $5 per 1,000 views. To make this happen, YouTube created the YouTube Partner Program, which allows you to get paid through advertisements on your page. To be accepted into the YouTube Partners Program, you must:
- Have at least 1,000 subscribers
- Reach 4,000 valid public watch hours in the past 12 months
- Sign and agree to the terms and conditions
- Have an AdSense account
- Get reviewed and approved
Once you’re in the Youtube Partners Program, you’ll be able to start bringing in money through advertisements. This is done in two ways, either cost per thousand views (CPM) or cost per click (CPC). With CPM, you can earn money based on every 1,000 views you accumulate, while with CPC, you can earn money based on the number of people that click on the ad placed on your page or video.
However, it’s important to note that Google will give you 68% of the revenue when displaying ads with AdSense. So, for example, if a video generates $1,000 from AdSense revenue, you will receive $680.
What other ways do YouTubers make money?
Ad placements aren’t the only way YouTubers make money and earn additional income. In fact, a YouTuber’s salary comes from a variety of other sources. Here are some other options to supplement a YouTuber’s income:
- Affiliate links: Have you ever watched a video of a YouTuber reviewing a product? How about one where a YouTuber throws in the name of their “favorite brand”? If so, you’ve experienced affiliate links. Affiliate links involve a YouTuber reviewing or mentioning a product, such as makeup, or a service, such as marketing software. When a viewer clicks on the link located in the video description and makes a purchase, the YouTuber will earn a percentage of that purchase.
- Merchandise: Whether you follow a popular gamer or a day-to-day vlogger, you’ve probably noticed they opened up shop and created apparel for their loyal fans to purchase. YouTubers who have a large following often create a brand out of their channel and sell things such as shirts, bags, hats, and accessories.
- Sponsorship: With over 2 billion monthly users and 1 billion hours of watching per day, YouTube is the most widely-used video-viewing platform around today. And, if you’re a big-time YouTuber with a strong following, companies are going to want to partner with you. Famous YouTubers also make their money through brand sponsorships. You might be surprised by how many brands are happy to pay YouTubers to review or promote their products and increase their sales.
Who are the top paid YouTubers?
So, how much do YouTubers get paid? Now that you know how they’re getting paid, you may be curious about how much money they actually bring home every year. Take a look at 2018’s top-ten YouTuber salaries:
10. Logan Paul – $14.5 million
9. PewDiePie – $15.5 million
8. Jacksepticeye – $16 million
7. VanossGaming – $17 million
6. Markiplier – $17.5 million
5. Jeffree Star – $18 million
4. DanTDM – $18.5 million
3. Dude Perfect – $20 million
2. Jake Paul – $21.5 million
1.Ryan ToysReview – $22 million
How to make money on YouTube
After seeing the salaries of the top-ten YouTubers, you may be considering a career change. Do you think you have what it takes to make it big and compete with these YouTube stars, and are you wondering how to become a YouTuber? Here are some things you’ll need to consider when figuring out how to get paid on YouTube:
- Finding your niche is one way you can develop a strong following. Some popular niches you may want to consider include gaming, news, celebrity gossip, product reviews, cooking, spoofs/pranks, how-to demonstrations, and lifehacks. If you need some inspiration for a category to pick, five of the top ten YouTubers in 2018 were gamers.
- Posting regularly is another strategy that can help you make money off of YouTube. By creating a set schedule of uploads, let’s say every Tuesday night, your followers will know when to expect new content from you.
- Buying the right gear, such as a camera, microphone, and lighting equipment can also help you become a successful YouTuber.
Learning how to edit your videos can also draw in more viewers. Engaging content with good quality and captivating effects can help your videos stand out. If editing isn’t your strong suit, you can also try hiring a freelance video designer or even watch YouTube tutorials on how to edit your videos.
- How much do YouTubers make? Anywhere between $0.01 to $0.03 per view, which translates to $3-$5 per 1000 views, and up to $5,000 for 1,000,000 views.
- YouTube income is generated by advertisements through AdSense, sponsorships with popular brands, and affiliate links.
- YouTube pays you only after you’ve earned $100 or more from placing ads on your channel and videos.
- Famous YouTuber salaries can soar into the millions, and the highest-paid YouTuber in 2018 was a 7-year-old boy named Ryan who started his own channel called Ryan ToysReview. It earned him $22 million in a single year.
- Wondering how to make money on YouTube? Some tips that can help include finding a niche, posting regularly, buying the right equipment, and learning how to edit your videos well.